Friday, February 20, 2009

The 5th Annual Cotillion - "A Victorian Valentine"



On the evening of February 14, 2009, I was at the Smyrna Opera House in a black evening gown. The particular event was the Annual Cotillion fundraiser. I've always wanted to go to the formal event, but the ticket price of $90 was a bit steep for me. Instead, I was asked to volunteer on the committee where I could help and still be part of the evening.



I've performed in and attended many different types of shows at the opera house. It is part of our town's history and was built in the 1880s. It has become part of me, Jim and Matthew. I've made good friends, met acquaintances, connected with lots of folks from town, and first time visitors from the surrounding area. However, this opportunity gave me a chance to spend hours with board members and trustees that I see or greet in only in passing.

The evening started at 6pm and ended at 12 am with cocktails and beautiful tasty gourmet hors d' oeuvres. There was a silent auction of tabled items, along with a live auction. The live auction was fun, and fast-paced. Items included: lunch for 4 with Delaware's Governor, Dover Downs Monster Mile (a chance to drive in a race car a few times round the track), Flyers, Eagles, and Ravens tickets, a sailboat trip for 6 including lunch on the Chesapeake. We also had a drawings for an assortment of wine or chocolate baskets, and an Irish porcelain tea set and coffee assortment on a tea table, and a week for 6 in Nags Head, NC.

After the live auction, the music began. Before the event, I created a pamphlet of the bands musical selections for each attendee where for $10 a song, the band would announce their song dedication to "the one they love". During the last half hour, I was able to join a few couples and dance to music from the Funsters music. Everyone was impressed with their showmanship. The 10 piece band are great musicians who share a pride in each other's musical abilities, and they are also friends. This spirit and camaraderie on stage is what sets The Funsters apart from other bands offering the same type of musical entertainment.

At the end of the evening, we cleared the tables and cleaned up. While I had the opportunity to lockup the building, it was fun getting to know more about the band members. I enjoyed spending time chatting with them and watching them wrap up their equipment and instruments. I'm officially a band groupie! Can't wait to see them perform again.

Next year, I'm buying a ticket and attending! What a blast! We're having a "wrap-up" meeting and dinner this Monday to discuss next years plans (Marti Gras) and review comments from attendees! Will keep you posted!

No comments: