Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Winter Snow!

It's February and I missed posting a blog for January. I blinked and now am involved in many new projects; a valentines day fundraising event at the Smyrna Opera House, high school spring musical rehearsals, a new night for choir practice, and of course cub scouts!

Matt and I were invited to join a group of my coworkers to go snow skiing two weeks ago! We got a free lesson and ski equipment rental along with the cost of only a lift ticket. It was Matt's first time, and I hadn't been skiing since I was 17 years old.
The ski resort is called Blue Mountain and located in the mountains of PA. I'm glad we took a lesson. I'd almost forgot how to safely ski! Luckily, I only fell two times (once forward using the tow lift, and secondly off the lift. The chairs sit low and my skis slide out from under me.

Matt was happy and having lots of fun on the lesson hill, until I thought we were ready to give the bunny slope a try. (Pause) I don't remember the bunny slope being so long and steep? He started off with arms and legs and a big fall. I was so intent on not falling and keeping my eyes forward, I got to the bottom because I couldn't stop! I look back and Matt managed to somehow find his skis and poles. I couldn't get to him and he was mad and frustrated. I was so out of control and feeling foolishly old - - the fresh air hit me and I couldn't stop laughing. I was happy to be alive and in the snow. We finally made it to the ski lift, promptly fell off and landed face first in the snow. We agreed we needed to review and get back to the lesson hill. I started down first hoping to help him down. He got stuck in a bank of snow.
Frustrated, tired, hungry and cold, the ski patrol put him on the back of their snow mobile. I met him at the lodge. We turned in our equipment for the day. He voiced "NEVER AGAIN" and I put my arm around him. I was so proud that he faced his fears and tried his best! It was 1:30pm and got lunch. We ate lunch and watched the snowboards and skiers as they wiped out one by one. Suddenly Matt wanted to try again. However, our group were just coming in for the day. Next year!

At 43, I was really sore for almost 3 days. I didn't know I had muscles inside my elbows. My legs are fine, except for my shins from the tight boots. After I fell the second time, I almost couldn't get my knee working after it was frozen from the fall. Matt has no bumps, bruises or discomfort. He is excited to try again next year! I didn't realize how much I miss skiing - the air, the smell of the snow, the exhilaration of the sport, but mostly the beauty of the mountains! All of my young childhood winter memories of Maine: skiing with Grammy Bigelow, in the ski mobile with Grampy Bigelow, and sledding with my sister came flooding back in one run down the bunny slope!.......and now Matt's first time on skis. I will always treasure the memories!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

cool story...wow I have only been once and I was 17 also...maybe Brian and I should go one of these days. Thanks for sharing your stories you are so good at telling them!