Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Finding the Bigelow-Lynds Family Line

Most of my friends and family know that have been working on the Bigelow Geneology. I was lucky to find that my grandfather was already posted on the Bigelow Society Webpage . My grandmother, Muriel Elizabeth Ashley had already traced her family and documented it back to the Mayflower. My Bigelow Line goes back to King Edward II, who had a daughter (not from the queen). He had her married to Baguley who was promptly knighted. Many years later, an ancestor, Elizabeth Bigelow, second wife of Deacon Richard Butler came over on boat from the Winthrop Fleet (ships after the Mayflower. A young cousin traveling with her was not recorded on the ships log. However, this young man, recorded later as John Biglo (b. 1616) was the 2nd on record to marry in Watertown, Mass. and had 13 children. He lived from 1617 to 1703...and so I'm am the 11th generation.

This past two years, I've been impressed or I like to believe that I've been spiritually guided to follow-up on the Lynds family branch. I found a family photo of both Mary Ann, a group photo of her father (Peter), brother (Joseph E.), nephew (Edward S.) taken in Cloquet, Minnesota, marked as August 1894. I have a leather wallet belonging to her father Peter Lynds. I have her (or a young female relative companion) round the world travel journal. Two weeks ago, I again was prompted to just check on the Lynds name. I would take the pictures out from time to time and study them for clues. I learned more about her family.

Peter (1854) and Mary Ann were born in Sterling, Mass. Both Peter and Joseph E (son) were in the lumber business and moved from Massachusetts to Cloquet, MN. In late 1880s JE was married to Cordelia Shaw. They had a son born in 1888 named Edward Shaw Lynds (picture). The town was incorporated as a village in 1884 and became a city, with a mayor and city council, in 1904. The area was the site of the 1918 Cloquet Fire, which destroyed much of the town and killed approximately 500 people. Luckily, they lived and then relocated to Los Angeles, California by 1920. JE was 65 in 1920. I found a Wikipedia article about J.E. Lynds and the Cloquet, Minn library. Could it be the same Lynds family? Yes. Ancestry.com confirmed through several historical records (census, NY passenger departures, birth, passports) that I found the family line.

On the left, a 1933 (45 years old) passport picture of Edward Shaw Lynds. In 1918, Edward registered for World War I and worked for the Rust Parker Co. lumber outfit and had a wife and child with one on the way. In 1919 they had their last child, a daughter just before the fire. At 45, he sailed on the "Baltic" to Liverpool, England with his mother, father, and wife Rose S. She was born in Two Harbors, MN. They had three children, Edward (1916) Elizabeth (1919) and Robert (1920). He died on in 1962. His son Edward died in May May 25, 2004 in Los Angeles, CA.

Barbara Jane Bigelow (That's me)
Robert Ashley Bigelow m. Susan Addicott 1964
Robert Sickman Bigelow m. Muriel Ashley 1933
James Herbert Bigelow m. Bertha Sickman 1906
James M. Bigelow m. Mary Ann LYNDS 1880.
James Herbert BIGELOW, son of James M. 7 ( James 6, Ephraim 5 , Joseph 4,Ephraim 3, Daniel 2, John1) and Mary Ann (LYNDS) BIGELOW, was born 25 January 1881 Holliston, Middlesex, MA. We do not have his death date, but he married on 06 June 1906 Bertha May Sickman. She was born 06 May 1881.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Barb, looking again at this blog, where did you get the passport info on ESL? That is a pretty horrible picture of him!!