Thursday, March 5, 2009

Once Upon A Mattress - Rehearsal



Every year, I'm invited to be the vocal and music coach for our high schools spring musical. We start January 2 and usually rehearse through March. This year, we are doing Once Upon A Mattress on March 28, 29, 30, 31. The kids were not too excited about the show, after doing Grease last year. Last year, most of the kids/leads were green and it was their first show. They were trying to fill the shoes of the talented seasoned Seniors that gave several impressive performances of Seussical, Fiddler on the Roof, and Little Shop of Horrors. They really did do their best, but knew that if we had just another month of practice, it would've made a big difference. However hard on themselves, as most performers are, I was amazed that they persevered, let go and actually enjoyed their final performance. This year, the music is not easy. It was written in 1959 and has jazzy and syncopated rhythms. When singing, you must take breaks in the right places, or you will run out of breath! The men have to really remain in the characters as they sing in order to get the tone and feeling of the song across to the audience. I work with these kids once or twice a week for three hours. When I was in school, we used band students in the pit, and until the last four years they were hired and volunteers from local music stores, or retired school band teachers. For the last 2 years, we have an amazing accompanist, who is a student! He plays circles around me and is only 16 years old. He is already directing other instrumentalist (violin, clarinet, trumpet) to play along too. I am so lucky and blessed to have great opportunities to see these kids grow and learn. They are so willing and helpful. As usual, I do have my favorites, but love them all! I can't wait until they are all in costume!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I smell a date night for Brian and I! hehehe I can not wait to see what these kids do!