Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St. Patrick's Day - I'm Irish too!

Every year, I have to pinch myself because I forget to wear green. I'm not Irish, so the day isn't important to me. Yesterday, I wore a green shirt, but forgot AGAIN! I was frustrated as I made an observation in my morning meeting that everyone was wearing green clovers. Ugggh, I purchased a cute little scarf this past summer, just so I could wear it and I completely forgot. When I married Jim, I thought - now I can celebrate too! In fact, yesterday I stopped by to give Jim and Matt little trinkets or something for this day because of the McGuigan (Tyrone county) clan connection. As I was leaving, I was just thinking how fun it must be to feel and know your Irish on the celebrated St. Patty’s Day! However, my next thought was how nice it has been to slowly unfold and find the missing links of my family. Today, I was blessed (I believe it was because of my silent prayer of thanks) I was able to find a new family lead and TA DA! I found that I ACTUALLY Am Irish (my great-great grandfather)!

(b. 1965) Barbara Bigelow (dau. of Robert)
(b. 1940) Robert A. Bigelow
(b. 1911) Robert S. Bigelow
(b. 1881) James H. Bigelow (Holyoke, PA) m. Bertha Sickman (

(b. 1857) Albert H. Sickman (b. PA) m. Mary Crossen (Canada)
- - Albert in the bottom right picture
(b. 1822) John Sickman (son of James Skehan) shows up in PA (1850 census with his parents) m. Martha Pomerene (b. PA)

James Skehan m. Johanna Power (both b.Waterford, Ireland)

2 comments:

Rachelle said...

It's so fun to figure out your roots huh!

Barbara said...

and that's no Blarney!