Friday, October 8, 2010

An Evening of Talent with Our Primary Kids


Thursday the 7th at 7pm, my church ward had a Talent Show activity for our *Primary children under the age of 12. There must have been at least 100 people in the audience. My cub scouts (8 & 9 year olds) did a few skits (one liner jokes) for the audience. Every child performed at least once or twice, depending on their individual or group talents. We had piano and trombone recitals, comedians, artists doing live quick paintings, new popular line dances, gymnastics, a hoola-hoop combination dance, cheerleading, and singing: All six verses of Puff the Magic Dragon, twinkle twinkle, and even the Primary leaders sang a song together.

However, one 9 year old girl named Brierly decided to dance to a sweet little country song (see below). She went to the raised platform stage, poised herself at the microphone and announced that she would be dancing all the parts of the song and dedicating it to her Daddy, whom she loved very much. She danced without rehearsed choreography, full of expression and flowing moves. She started out with her back to the audience because she had a bit of stage fright. Only when she twirled or slowly made a small circle or moves on the floor could you see her face. Her lips moved as she sang the slow ballad softly to herself. I was brought to tears as I watched her dance with abandon. She seemed to slide across the stage as if she was ice dancing as she bent backwards, forwards, and around. It was simply beautiful and heartwarming. It occurred to me that it was a teachable moment, that I was admiring. How wonderful it is to see children inspired by the spirit of God. When I sing or play piano for a spell, I feel liberated and most connected to God. Every day for me is a great day to be alive and to focus on God's blessings in my life! During this talent show evening I had the opportunity to listen to the music of their spirits in dance, music, laughter, smiles, and the happy clapping of the crowd!
Stealing Cinderella by *Chuck Wicks. (Click on the link for more information)
*Primary is the name we call our Sunday School for kids ages 4-12 years old. After leading the music for communion/sacrament service, I play the piano for sharing time for two hours in Primary. The Primary kids are split one hour for singing/sharing time, and the other for Sunday School. Everyone leaves at 1pm. Three hours may seem long. Sometimes it feels that way, when it has already been an exhausting week. However, for me, my church is a where I am spiritually fed and fellowship with people that have become my extended spiritual family. Sunday is my favorite day because it is very enjoyable as we all worship and learn about the scriptures, sing, share our testimonies and talents with one another. When I arrive home and have my mid-day meal, I take a nice two hour nap. I get up and usually share a meal with Matthew and Jim at our favorite Italian restaurant. It is a great way to start the week.

No comments: