Friday, December 11, 2009

A Service of Lessons & Carols

The morning after our Christmas show, I was dressed and ready for church by 9:20 am when a huge headache hit me between the eyes. I took some aspirin and laid down for a minute, then the phone rang, I answered it and it happened to be my Bishop from church. He asked if I was sick, and if my show went well. I realized that I had fallen asleep. I asked him what time it was. He replied, "It's 3pm." Wow, was I tired.

After waking up and have a small meal I remembered that a last year high school student - now in college - invited me to her choir concert at Wesley College at 6pm that evening. That night I noticed another student singing, as well as four other vocalists in the choir. I was so happy and honored to be watching them. When it ended I was able to visit with each of them and congratulate them on an amazing service. I am officially in the Christmas spirit!

The event was wonderful and well attended. Once I stepped into the College Chapel, the Prelude had just begun and someone was finding me a seat in the full pews. The organ played "Sleepers Awake! A voice astounds us by J.S. Bach. Once I was seated, a bell choir (Capitol Ringers) began playing Sing We Now of Christmas. The processional hymn of "Once in Royal David's City" begun with the congregation standing while singing the song followed by the Lord's Prayer, along with the Blessing of the service, leaders, performers, and attendees.

The Service went as follows:
Carol/Choirs; Lesson-College Staff member/student; and Hymn-All/congregation

Carol (Wesley College Choir)- Quem Vidistis, pastores? from Christmas Cantata (Sinfonia Sacra) Whom do you see? Shepards, tell us! Proclaim to us:who has appeared on earth? We saw the new born child and choirs of angels praising the Lord.

First Lesson: Genesis 3: 22-24
Hymn: Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus

Carol: Chamber Choir - Jesus Christ the Apple Tree
Second Lesson: Genesis 15:1-6
Hymn: Lo, How a Rose e'er Blooming

Carol: O come, O Dayspring From High
Third Lesson: Isiah 9:6-7

Carol: Joy to the World
Fourth Lesson: Micha 5:2-5a
Hymn: O Little Town of Bethlehem

Fifth Lesson: Luke 1:26-38
Carol: O magnum mysterium - From Christmas Cantata (Sinfonia Sacra)
O great mystery and wondrous sacrament that animals should see the new born Lord lying in their manager. Blessed is the Virgin whose womb was worthy to bear the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sixth Lesson: Luke 2:1-7
Carol: Greensleeves (Capital Ringers)
Hymn: In the Bleak Midwinter (my favorite hymn)
Carol: Sans Day Carol (choir)

Seventh Lesson: Luke 2: 8-16
Carol: Ding! dong! merrily on high (choir)

Eighth Lesson: Matthew 2:1-11
Carol: Love came down at Christmas (choir)
Carol: Personnet Hodie (Chamber Choir)

Ninth Lesson: John 1:1-5, 9-18
Hymn: O Come, All Ye Faithful
Carol: Gloria in Excelsis Deo (Sinfonia Sacra) choir
Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to those of good will. O be joyful in the Lord, all ye lands; serve the Lord with gladness, and come before his presence with a song. Be ye sure that the Lord he is God; it is he that hath made us and not we ourselves. Alleluia.

Hymn: Hark! the Herald Angels Sing

Dismissal

No comments: