Thursday, December 17, 2009

Another Geneological Bigelow connection!

If you go to my blog (http://barbinde.blogspot.com/) and click on February I talked about how I was being spiritually guided to follow the Lynds-Bigelow Line and the fire that burned down the town of Cloquet, Minnesota. The family escaped and moved to Los Angeles, CA.
Barbara Jane Bigelow (That's me)
Robert Ashley Bigelow m. Susan Addicott 1964
Robert Sickman Bigelow m. Muriel Ashley 1933
James Herbert Bigelow m. Bertha Sickman 1906

Bertha is in the middle!

James M. Bigelow m. Mary Ann LYNDS 1880.
Mary Ann's brother's (James Edward/JE or Ed)
who is Bertha's Uncle by marriage

Ed on the right (his son is Ed, Jr. in the middle)
If you click on the photo it will enlarge
Cloquet, MINN is on the bottom
I posted my family information on Ancestry.com hoping that I would find more Bigelow connections. This month, Carol Lynds (married to a Lynds) emailed me and sent me a letter that Bertha Sickman sent to Mary Ann Lynds brother. I have his photo at home, and have posted it on my blog from February. How exciting that not only do I have a new 1st cousin, but she lives in Los Angeles, California, where most of my Addicott family lives. The letter is between my grandfather's mother and her in-law's brother's (Edward Lynds) family. It is very telling of the times. What an amazing gift to feel what was on their minds in 1918.

Springfield, Massachusetts, October 14, 1918
Received the receipt and your check for $5.00-the overpayment of first remittance.
I was so glad to hear from you folks, especially to know that you expected to be in Davenport before going to California. I do so hope you have escaped the awful fire. I noticed by the paper that Cloquet was in the midst of it. I'll be anxious to hear if you folks have gone on to California.
The Hunns seemed to be getting too much of their own medicine and don't like it, so they don't want to play their own game anymore. It takes Uncle Sam to fix him! I'll be so glad when this war is over, but I do want the Hunns so beaten that there will never be another war.
This is Herbert's second winter away from home. It is certainly not very pleasant without him. The boys need their father so much while they are growing up and developing.
It is quite a surprise to me to learn that Ed Jr. and Rose have a baby girl. I am so glad they have a nice little family.
Were you notified of the death of your Uncle George Henry? His housekeeper wrote me about it. It occurred Sept. 30 burial Oct. 4. I did not receive the word until nearly noon of the day of his funeral - too late to attend, too late to send flowers over. She said the funeral would be private on account of the Influenza Epidemic. She did not say he died of it, so I think it must have been old age that carried him off.
My sister and her two children are coming to live with me this winter. Her husband being a physician, had to enlist, so that home is broken up too. The boys seem quite well, and are enjoying another vacation, schools closed on account of the epidemic.
Give our best love to Elizabeth (Ed's wife) hoping that you'll all enjoy your new home.
I am

Sincerely
Bertha

No comments: