Monday, July 6, 2009

Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia

What do President Thomas Jefferson, Bill Cosby, and Groucho Marx have in common?


They have all been to the Walnut Street Theatre.


It was founding in 1809 and is the oldest theatre in America. With more than 56,000 season ticket holders, it is the most subscribe theatre company in the World. It was first home, not to actors, but horses. 1809, the theatre opened as "The New Circus" and hosted equestrian acts. There were many new theatrical innovations at the theatre. In 1837, the Walnut was the first theatre to install gas footlights and in 185 - air conditioning. There were many new up and coming actors that are now our famous "Acting Royalty" that got their start during the 19th and 20th century.

If someone asked you to come and see a free touring broadway show?Are you kidding me? Where, when, and what do I have to do for you? My good friend, Monika Dougherty and I saw "The Producers" at the Walnut Street Theatre in Philadelphia.
Monika and I met at the Smyrna Opera House. She and I love to attend the local high school musical productions together. There's nothing like watching the young people light up and perform or seeing their reaction to applause!

Her mother has ushered at many of the theatres in Philly and for close to 30 years at the DuPont Theatre in Wilmington. According to her, as an usher at the Dupont theatre, you are are actually paid. However, it is more stressful because you have to walk each party down to their seats. I've been on the upper levels and that can be hard with depth perception and older knees.
Well, Monika and I had the fun experience of being ushers with our white tops, black bottoms, and no perfume allowed. We stuffed the playbills, got our name tags, became familar with our doors and assigned areas. As soon as it was 6:30pm, the theatre doors and stairwells were opened to the patrons. We smiled, helped people find their proper level, used our flashlights to view the tickets in the darkened theatre, and warned them not to bring in any snacks or liquids. Monika was stationed right beside me as she handed out hearing devices for those that would like to hear better. I handed out playbills and helped people find their row in the orchestra section. As soon as the lights dimmed and the music started, we took the open seats only half way back from the orchestra! It was an amazing experience.

I don't care, which theatre I'm in.....I always feel somewhat at home. I only had two sections two work with in the small theatre. We had two duplicate printouts and a lady with a walker. Patrons in Philly are very unusual in many ways, but passionate about the Arts!

No comments: