Monday, July 20, 2009

Visit from my Dad

Do you believe that when your die your spirit leaves your body? Are you resting and waiting for you to be called to heaven? If so, do you visit your loved ones? Are you able to communicate with them? I'm not sure how my blog readers feel about dreams of deceased loved ones. However, I would like to share my experience.

My Dad passed in 2002, while we were vacationing in Maine. I wanted so much to know he was okay, and that he had made it to heaven or that he was at peace "somewhere" in the after life. I missed him terribly. During that year of his passing, I wrote notes to him on my spiral bound notebook and left it out, hoping words would mystically appear to answer my thoughts. In the morning, I would run downstairs and check it thinking to myself how silly I was. But, the next evening for the next three months I continuously wrote a few sentences for him to read. For some reason, I couldn't understand why I wasn't upset or sad, like normal people.



After he passed, an older new coworker was introduced and he became somewhat of a father figure to me. He helped Matt with a badge in scouts, we talked about swimming, scouting, his childhood, and many other interesting life events. His ability to share and teach things to me reminded me of my Dad. He tragically died while I was vacationing in California with my sister. I was devastated. I had lost two fathers, and this is when my "dreams" began.



At first, I was visited by my coworker in spirit the day of his death. He came in the restaurant door where my family and I were dining. I saw a shadow from the corner of my eye and then the feeling that someone was behind me. Next I felt his chin on my head and hands on my shoulders. I looked back thinking it was my Uncle Joel trying to surprise me. I was waiting to see him and my Aunt later that week. I turned around and no one was there. It wasn't until I was spiritually prompted to check my email from my sisters house when we returned from our meal when I found out he had been run over that morning and had passed immediately. After going to his funeral three days later, he appeared to me in a dream. I asked him if he was okay, and how happy I was to see him. He looked at me with so much love in his eyes that I woke from the dream crying as if I had visited him in heaven. To ME, it was real. A year later, when I was thinking of him at Christmas, again I dreamt of him and we had a conversation. He asked if I was okay, and I told him I missed him. I woke up crying knowing it was real!



I was happy when I finally started having dreams of my father from time to time just sitting across from me at a kitchen table or in a car . I put my head on his shoulder or give him a big hug. I look at him, knowing I'm visiting with him. I tell him I love him and he smiles and only speaks my name "BJ". It is quickly over my recognition of him still being around me. I haven't learned to slowly relax and open my eyes after these dreams. Instead, I cry as feel as if my breathe has been taken away or perhaps just put back into my body after these dreams.



This past week, I've been so excited about going to Maine to revisit my family, my happy childhood there, and connect with where my soul is happiest on Earth! Last night, I realized that I have not been back since scattering Dad's ashes some six years ago. Life sure keeps me busy and time has passed quickly.



This morning, I awoke at 4:00am from a vivid dream of seeing my father. It has been at least two years since I dreamt of him. In my dream, I could hear my sister call to me that Dad was "Alive" and to come and see him. I turned the corner hoping to see her, but I didn't. Instead I saw my father sitting quietly on a wooden stool. He looked thinner, but it was him. I was so happy. I put my arms around him and hugged him. I pulled back and told him he looked great, for a dead man (our Bigelow humor here) as I we were still holding both hands. I exclaimed, "I can't believe you're here!" He replied, "I'm here!" and smiled back.



Immediately, I woke crying because I knew he sending me his love and was glad I was going to Maine. I was wondering if it was the right decision to go at this time. Would we be safe driving?...all the concerns with travel. Also, I could smell him and felt as if he had just left the room. What a gift to be visited by your loved ones!



Have you ever had these dream experiences? I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Lórien said...

Barb - thank you for posting this! What an experience. It is so amazing, the things that happen to us. I have seen my dad many times in dreams, which have always been bittersweet for me when I wake up. I hope you have a fantastic time in Maine.