Friday, June 26, 2009

My Experience with Pistachios & Salmonella

Reuters June 23, 2009 FDA: Salmonella risk seen in California Pistachio brands ........

Last week, I had a morning appointment with my new doctor, who is wonderful by the way. Afterwards I headed over to our local Walgreens to fill my new prescriptions. While I was waiting, I filled up my basket with a few bathroom articles, and a bag of pistachios. Actually, I picked them up because I was thinking about Grampy Bigelow. He loved the red shelled pistachios. I picked up a bag of fire roasted Deerfield Farms California naturally opened pistachios with the Walgreens quality guaranteed symbol. Best of all they were two 10 oz. bags for $7. I only bought one bag.

It was just before dinner when I opened the bag and started to shell the pistachios popping them one by one in my mouth. Later that evening, I started feeling queasy. I mentally took an inventory of what I had for dinner and couldn't think of anything unusual I'd eaten. Perhaps it was my new medication. The doctor did say it might make me feel dizzy or drowsy, that's why I had just taken it before bedtime. Before I knew it I was sweating and feeling chills, vomiting, and not myself. I went to bed hoping I'd feel better in the morning.

Next morning, I still had queasiness but instead of vomiting, I had severe cramping followed by spastic bowels. This went on for seven days. I ate very little, but drank lots of water. What little I did eat, made me feel nauseous and immediately was purged by my body. I thought I had a stomach or intestinal virus. I took only one day off of work, hoping that each day would get better. I didn't until the last two days, even then......I was hungry, but when in front of the meal my stomach did flip flops.

Finally, knowing that I had a follow-up appointment with my doctor, I asked her about my symptoms. After we discussed my meal, the medications, etc. on the day at Walgreens she heard me say pistachios.

"Ahhhhh! The culprit" she said. Since, I was back to my regular appetite and free from my symptoms I didn't need to worry. However, she told me about the pistachio recall and salmonella poisoning and was very lucky it hadn't progressed since my immune system is compromised by Diabetes.

Salmonella poison symptoms start 6 to 72 hours after exposure and can include:

Watery diarrhea
Fever
Cramping abdominal pain
Nausea
Vomiting
Chills
Headache

These symptoms usually last about four to seven days and often go away without treatment. Some children, younger infants and toddlers, and those with compromised immune symptoms may develop more severe, life-threatening symptoms and may need to be hospitalized.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

good to know now that we consumed 3 bags of Pistachios on our long drive out west...yuck! So glad you are doing well now...sure miss you!