Thursday, June 25, 2009

Delaware All-State Theatre at the DuPont Theatre



A new tradition for Matthew, Jim and I, including our friends Walter and Joanne Moore is seeing a Broadway musical performed by local students Dupont Theatre. Before going, we enjoy a dinner at Mrs. Robino's on Union Street in Wilmington. More on Mrs. Rubino's in my next blog. .....
Last year, the students did Les Miserables. It was the first year they held tryouts for high school students. This year, the theatre group accepted a Smyrna High School performer. Both Jim and I had a student we worked with previously. He worked with her in his summer theatre program and I, in Once Upon a Mattress at the high school.

The Delaware All-State Theatre was created to give elementary, middle, and high school theatre "geeks" the unique opportunity work on a large-scale musical production in partnership with the world famous DuPont Theatre. Full-time students (up to age 19) from across Delaware and the immediate surrounding area are eligible to participate either as a performer or behind the scenes in a technical capacity. They got the chance to work with industry professionals from the Director down to the Props Mistress.

Six performances were presented of this beloved Broadway musical performed entirely by students. From the first notes to the final breath, WEST SIDE STORY was performed with every bit of energy as seeing it on Broadway. In fact on many occassions during the performance, we all agreed we simply forgot that they were high school students.

As I grow older, I appreciate the young adults even more as I watch them dream and perform with passion. To truly see them at their best, doing what they love to do is truly a blessing for me. They inspire me!

No comments: