Friday, December 16, 2011

12/16/2011 First State Heritage Park




Part of Delaware's (DNREC) Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Control is the First State Heritage Park. It is located in and around the Capitol of Dover. There are free walking tours of The Dover Green led by historical interpreters in period dress! Building tours are free on the first Saturday of each month including: Legislative Hall, Johnson Victrola Museum, First State Heritage Park Welcome Center & Galleries, The John Bell House, The Old State House, and the Biggs Museum of American Art.

I'm assigned to this part of our Parks Division as a computer network technician. I love working with this particular group because of the creative programming for the public they do each month to share the history of Kent County and the state. This fall has been especially fun for me. I was introduced to many of the historical interpreters who create, write, direct, and portray historical people and events. I was invited to participate in their programs in 2012. I felt very honored and am looking forward to represent a person of interest in the history of Delaware. Recently, I've attended three historical event programs: two in Dover, and one in Smyrna.

I hope you will enjoy reading about the history of Delaware as I learn and blog more about what I've experienced, enjoyed, and find interesting.

No comments: