Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wild Turkey in Delaware?



No matter what your paid position is at Delaware Dept. of Natural Resources, you never know what you are going to hear or see! This morning I had to go to our Enforcement Protection Office for Air & Waste Management to update software on a few of the Emergency Responders laptops. I drove up, parked the car, and found these two guys hanging out in the parking lot. They were curious about me, but stayed their distance, as I them. However, when one of the Enforcement Officers came out to see if I was safe, they went absolutely crazy and tried to attack him. I think they have a sixth sense of the fact that he goes turkey hunting in his spare time (go figure).


I've never seen a live turkey other than on a farm, or in a zoo. You know, the basic caged bird view. Talk about about a Wild view.....when I got back to my office, I checked my email as usual. (Read below the photos)





Subject: Survey for Wild Turkey in Delaware

Hello DNREC,
The Division of Fish and Wildlife is launching a new, volunteer-based survey to track the distribution and reproductive success of wild turkeys in Delaware. If you see turkeys on your daily commute, while you are out in field, or on that weekend birding trip – we would love to know about it! The survey starts today and goes through the end of August. We asking volunteers to record the location and number of gobblers, hens, and poults (young-of-the-year) they see during the course of their day. The attached file contains an observation data sheet, map, and brief instructions.


Of course, I was reminded of the sign I saw in the Aquarium
on Monday........and watched my footing!

No comments: