Monday, September 7, 2009

Maine Vacation - Last Day

I woke feeling refreshed from our coastal adventure the day before. I felt a little sad that this was our last day in Maine. I went out on the deck, enjoyed the view, smelled the pines, and took a big breathe of the clean air! We took the morning packing our suitcases, straightening up, and writing in the Giggleswick Guestbook.
Later in the day, we made our way to the Bigelow camp to say our goodbyes. Matt and I invited Robert Ladd to drive up with us to the Sugarloaf ski resort. We headed north along the Sandy River and enjoyed the views of farms, rocky rivers, tall evergreens, ski chalets during the drive. When we finally arrived the view was amazing. We could see an amazing view of Mount Bigelow! This year, Matt went snow skiing for the first time in Pennsylvania. He was amazed at the different ski trails and the pointed out which ones he'd like to try!
We all closed our eyes and imagined what the village and mountains must look like with skiers coming down the mountain and the lifts working. It was fun. As we dropped off Robert, Matt had one last time driving the 4-wheeler and said so long to his cousins. We were so glad that we had a couple of days renewing our connection with family.

Before dinner began, we carpooled into Farmington with the Merta family to the Homestead Bakery Restaurant. We were looking forward to a lovely and last evening together. I was especially excited to see my cousin Jerry play his banjo with some local musicians. We had such a great reunion. The meal was amazing, the conversation was meaningful, and the music was flowing. Jerry invited all the Addicotts to join him. By the end of the evening, almost all of us had the opportunity to sing together in front of the restaurant patrons. The patrons were amazed how well we sang together considering it was the first time in public! To me, it was natural, my family always gathered 'round the piano during family holidays and reunions throughout my life! My father played the trumpet, my mother the piano, her mother - the piano and my great-grandmother Welles - the piano. Naturally, I would love the piano and the magical way it can bring family together in song and joy. The last night with my family was like the ending to a great musical! You start the show with a big number, and end the show with a big number! That night was the biggest number of my vacation! I am so blessed to have such special souls in my family!

For those of you that received this email, go to my blog and view the videos captured during the evening at Barbinde.blogspot.com

**Not only did we sing but so did a wonderful trio called "The Irish Pub Singers." **






No comments: