Monday, April 27, 2009

April Showers and Baptisms

Instead of April being rainy, we've had more rain in May! However, this April there was no lack of water in the baptismal font in the Smyrna LDS Ward. Several of our 8 year olds were baptized. One of my new Bobcat cub scouts, Hunter Biang, was baptized. Also, i was happy to play the piano for my visiting teacher's granddaughter, Annika Burgoyne's baptism.
Also in April I witnessed the baptism of the Gibson family from Libya. The recently moved from Washington, DC. to Clayton, Delaware. George & Elsie have seven children. They have five girls named Mardia, Patricia, Montee, Brandall, Denise, and twin boys named George & George. The twin boys are just four years old and love to come and sit by me on the piano stool during our "Sunday School" time. The whole family was baptized one Sunday except for the twins. The spirit was ever present and powerful as each member slowly walked into the fount all in white, guided by their assigned Priesthood holder. I loved to watch as they were dipped back and brought back up. Each of their faces were filled with joy as they smiled and wiped the water from their eyes. Elsie, the mother, was so overwhelmed that she cried immediately as she came up from the water. We all cried along with her and congratulated the family. It was so special.

The following Sunday our meeting was again filled with the spirit as each baptized family member sat in the middle of 10 Priesthood holders who each put their hand upon the shoulder of the next until they formed a circle. Again and again reverence fell upon the congregation as a prayer for each new member to receive the Holy Ghost is shared by the Priesthood brother and all the men now placing their hands upon the members head. After the whole family received their blessings, they were confirmed members of the church by a vote of an uplifted right hand by the congregation.

When I receive such prayers, whether from my own baptism, church callings, or other blessings I immediately feel the spirit and energy from that person along with the spiritual intent. It is a powerful feeling of peace, love, and light. I feel inspired to do that which is right to everybody and everything. For me, I know this is God's influence!

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I could not be there when the Gibson family was baptized. Thank you for sharing this I was able to visualize it all very well. I share your feeling about blessings. They are such a comfort to me also. Wow our ward has been blessed!